Saturday, September 17, 2005,8:34 AM
Let Love Die

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee… It has been an interesting Saturday night. I had some vodka concoctions in Lola and now I am tripping happily, writing this to you at half pass 5 a.m.


***
I spent the first half of my Saturday night with David. We spoke on the phone in the afternoon and I checked into Lola at midnight sharp.

He gave me a warm hug and we chatted for a bit. David looks the same, tall, slim with mid shoulder length hair. We hugged for a second before he led me to his table. Was introduced to his friends but clearly tonight there was not girls at his table, other than myself.

I started the evening teasing him about his lack of female companion. He is choosy, I am telling you. There are lots of girls eyeing him every night in Lola but he seems oblivious to them. It was only a matter of time before he teased me.

“You are so popular, sure got lots of men want to go out with you.” David said.

“Do you see anyone lining up?” I said with my right index finger pointing everywhere, proving there are no men out there for me.

He raised his hand. I laughed and dismissed him with “Yeah right… you… got so many girls around you all the time... where got time for me?”

Truth be told, I do not understand what sort of friendship I have with David. He is a great company and I have had many fun nights with him and his group of friends. His staff refuses to charge me for my drinks. They said the boss gave strict instructions that I drank on his compliments.

“You notice the smell?” he asked me.

“Ah you are finally using the perfume I got you for Christmas.” I said with a smile. I felt pleased that he finally used the bottle of perfume I got from The Bodyshop. Oh that smell reminds me of Seven and Adidas Boy.

“Wahhh you didn’t give me anything in return…” I teased him. Maybe I was fishing him for an answer, I don’t know. I was not concerned for anything he could buy me. I teased him for a reaction, a sign of what our friendship was and is.

“I did give you something.” He said. “You know exactly what I gave you.” There was a moment of silence between us, with all the lights beaming in Lola. His eyes looking straight into mine. He then looked away.

At his insistence, he drove me to my car which was parked a block away from Lola. He gave me a peck on my right cheek as we said our good bye-s for the night. I alighted his car and into mine.

I reached The Palazo at half pass 3 a.m. I was led away from the queue, straight through the VIP section. That was a moment of my weakness: I HAD to see Adidas Boy.

Quietly I stood at a corner and saw him. He was laughing and cracking jokes with his usual group of friends. I smiled and proceeded to walk towards him. I stopped midway when I saw his girlfriend walking towards him from the ladies.

I walked out.

Adidas Boy looked really good. There was something magical whenever he smiled. From a short blonde crop, he now sports an Afro, which was a good change of image. While sitting in my car talking to Indie, I saw him walking out of the club. He was leading his girlfriend to the car. They were both laughing and looked absolutley happy together, like how all couples should be on weekends. Another couple walked behind them and all four them seemed to be enjoying themselves.

I drove away, far away from The Palazo, far away from Adidas Boy and even further away from his girlfriend.

There used to be a time when Adidas Boy went home with me. They belong together, I said to myself. It is time to let love die.


***
"Turn to the left." He said.

“What’s on the left?” I asked, looking towards the left, seeking for an answer.

Hotel Sea Coast.

I hit him with my left hand. Adidas Boy laughed.

“Oh come on, you must admit it was the good old times when I asked you for a one nighter.” He said, then lighting a cigarette. He lowered the window and tipped ashes out of my car.

“Very funny. If ever there is a one nighter, we are not going to the Sea Coast.” I replied.

That was how it was in the first few months of being friends with Adidas Boy. When The Palazo closed for the night, he climbed and rode his Scrambler to his girlfriend’s house. He would pet her to sleep, then excused himself. Meanwhile I had supper with Eve, waiting for the call: the “Come on over” call from Adidas Boy.

We drove around the city, seeking for the brightest lights. We chatted a lot about thought provoking topics ranging from abortions to euthanasia. Every so often, he said “turn left” or “turn right” which was a tease from our first meeting in The Palazo. As months passed and we got to know each other better, he stopped teasing me. In its place, we shared lots of secrets.

“What’s your darkest secret?” I asked him during one of our early morning drives. I remember clearly driving on a flyover when I asked that question. The sky in a bluish tint, the sun was about to break dawn.

He looked into my eye, a regrettable smile across his face. He told me a secret that I cannot write down. His secrets are buried along with the day. His face looked paler than usual under that bluish morning sky. Roosting birds were awoken, taking to flight towards the day. Yet here a man was, humbled and remorseful of a day that he will never forget.

I promise You, God. He felt bad about it. He did not mean for it to happen and he is sorry. I often talked to God about Adidas Boy’s darkest secret.

That was the saddest conversation we had. Neither of us talked about it since. We have much happier moments, indeed everything about Adidas Boy was pleasant, with the darkest secret being the only exception.

Our lives were so different, it was literally like night and day. We spent countless hours teaching each other different things.

“Come home with me.” He said one day. It was that simple. Just one simple line and I found myself at his house during weekends.


***
Dear readers: I wondered if Adidas Boy tried to call me. I don't know if he did. I changed my phone number so that he could not call me anymore. So why do I feel a tinge of regret that I am not driving the city, looking for the brightest lights tonight?

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Otto
Permalink ¤